Thursday, November 13, 2014

Thankful and Thoughtful Challenge for November

As we officially head into the holiday season, the Dream Team are challenging all of our followers to be especially "Thankful and Thoughtful" during the month of November. We hope that you will link your creations with this theme in mind on the Dream It Up! blog using the Inlinkz tool. Our "thanks" to you is providing you with the opportunity to win the stencil of your choice, and a bonus stencil of our choosing could be yours for using Dreamweaver product(s) in your artwork.


Wayne and I have recently returned from a road trip to Portland OR and Olympia WA. We met with old friends and met new ones. While teaching at Art 'n Soul in Olympia we were fortunate to spend some time with fellow card artist and demonstrator Marj Marion. Marj has made a few sojourns to the UK for me to demonstrate and teach retailers for my distributor there and I feel so thankful that she could do that because she is such a great teacher. While we were visiting she gave me a few of her cards, so I am sharing her art with you today with her detailed help that goes with them, so this is in her own words:

Oak leaf stencil LL3043
"For this card, I attached the stencil to a light-gold colored cardstock panel. I traced around the inside edges of the design with a black Micron pen I used finger daubers to apply fall colored Distress inks to the open area of the leaf. Shading was created by using different colors in various areas, but blended somewhat to give the appearance of a fall leaf. I used a darker brown color on the finger dauber around the areas close to the Micron pen outline to give the leaf more dimension. With the stencil still attached, I stamped right through the stencil with Magenta Old Script stamp: 24.012J, using black ink. I accented the leaf by making small dots of color with Pico Embellishers (Imagine Craft) and  Pearl Pens ( Viva Decor) choosing fall colors. Now remove the stencil to cut out the leaf, leaving about 1/8" border. I  shaded the border area just slightly with a finger dauber and rust colored Distress ink. I attached the leaf to a torn panel of handmade black decorative paper, using foam tape for dimension. Rust colored twine was chosen and formed into a double bow to attach to the leaf stem. Next, the same Old script stamp as used with rust ink on a rust panel to make a subtle background panel, which is attached to a folded black card. Note, I love using the Distress inks because my painting and shading and stamping all coordinate nicely, but you can experiment with other watercolor paints as well. Have fun!"

Thank you Marj! Also want to let you know that Wayne and I will be posting some of our Zentangle creations (ZIA) regularly. This beautiful artform has really inspired Wayne and he has encouraged me to try it...I am really enjoying the process. So Zensdays with Lynell and Wayne will be a regular Wednesday posting. Hope you'll take time to give it a try.


Pam Hornschu, head of my design team has given us the challenge to do creations centered around thankful and thoughtful this month, she mentioned that she is doing some cards for our servicemen called "Operation Write Home", click here to find out more about this thoughtful service for those serving so far from home....read carefully because there are limitations that need to be followed. Also would love for you to check out the work of the rest of the design team...they work very hard and we'd love to have your thoughtful comments encourage them in their work. Would also love for you to join our challenges...there aren't a lot of restrictions, but as said before if you are a winner you get to choose any stencil you would like, if you use a stencil we choose a bonus stencil for you. So link up below.

We have the wonderful Linda Neff as our guest designer this month...a special treat for us. Be thoughtful and send them some love in the way of a comment or two.







7 comments:

Lyn Bernatovich said...

Very cool leaf design. Love the script!

Pam Hornschu said...

Such a beautiful card by Marj, as usual! Love the colors!

ionabunny said...

Love the card. The leaf is gorgeous and looks great against the black. Hugz

Laura S Reading said...

This is such a beautiful card. I like the idea of script on the leaf.

Dawn said...

Great card! Thanks for a fun challenge too! xx

Viki Banaszak said...

This is so pretty! I love the coloring on the leaf an the text is a cool addition.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Gorgeous leaf card! I want to thank you again, Lynell, for the wonderful stencils I won last month! I receive them last night, and couldn't wait to play! It is my pleasure to link up my card using Flourishes (entry #32). Very happy with my new stencils!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive