Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Nesting Owl Dies/Paper Piecing on Embossing Paste Second Verse Similar to the First

Today I  am still using the owl dies for my challenge here on the Dreamweaver Stencils home blog. Remember to leave a comment for a chance of being one of two random winners to win the nested owl die (DG751). You can comment once a day until this Thursday when our wonderful design team and guest designer, Terri Sproul will be back on board to show you what they are creating for the Dreamweaver Stencils to die for challenge this month.

I am also teasing you today by showing you one feature of our new dual alphabet die which won't be ready until sometime next month. But I have been having a lot of fun playing with it and this Thursday I will be showing you more. Here is my tutorial on how I created this uber-simple card. If you have been following this week you will realize that this technique was done a couple of days ago...just a different creation. Same bird song...second verse.

Today's Tutorial-Paper Piecing with Stencils and Die-cuts:



These are a few of the materials that I begin with...we are going to mix our own color of paste using re-inkers to add color. Usually I recommend tube acrylics because they are considered heavy body or thick paint and won't add too much moisture to the paste. But today I am using the Wendy Vecchi Archival re-inkers, which just a few drops are added to the paste and won't cause it to be too soupy to use.










I mixed a few drops of Wendy Vecchi's Archival reinker color called Dandelion into the regular Dreamweaver Embossing Paste (DEP). It was perfect for my nest and the color behind the owl. Mix it well...or, if you prefer, you could leave streaks of the Dandelion color for a more distressed look.







Paste-emboss the owl stencil (LL3039) and the nest stencil (LL3041) and set them aside to dry. I keep the excess paste that was mixed in a special jar that seals well so that your mixed paste will last a year or two. Containers that you purchase for food leftovers will only last a couple of months before the paste dries out. Glass containers work well, but the right size is hard to find and if your glass jar is too big you may have the same drying problem.
If you are interested in our containers you can purchase from Wendy Vecchi's distributors or from www.stencilwithstyle.com This is a new item and will be available at a retailer near you very soon.



While the paste-embossed images are drying I worked on the die-cut pieces. I started by removing one side of the release paper from the double sticky paper. Then I attached the sticky side to the back of two or three different decorative papers.

There are many sticky papers on the market. The Dreamweaver double sticky paper (MPDS) has a release paper which cuts when you put it through the machine.







I die cut them out using the paper pieced medium sized owl from the nested Owl die set (DG751). I placed them on a piece of cardstock and tried different combinations until I found the formula I wanted. By now your paste-embossed owl and nest should be dry, so remove the other side of the release paper from the owl pieces you have chosen and stick them on top of the paste-embossed owl design. This is really one of my favorite looks...again we refer to it as paper piecing with dies and stencils.




Our new dual alphabet will be available in August and you can use the framed letter which we used in our NEST card or the letter that is cut out of the framed letter. We made the letters so that each one that punches out of the framed letter is entire. In other words it will come out in one piece and you won't have any letters that come out in two or three pieces. Also I will be showing you another feature of our alphabet on Thursday, so be sure to stop back.












15 comments:

ionabunny said...

Fab card. I love how you use the embossing paste to add dimension before paper piecing. Great alphabet. Really like the font and it's great the letters are one piece. Sometimes trying to stick the tiny bits back in the e's a's and o's is the hardest part...

KT Fit Kitty said...

This is adorable! I am so excited about your giveaway! I love these owl dies! I am really enjoying your tutorials this week - so many possibilities for these dies! And thanks for the sneak peek of the dual alphabet dies - they look amazing!

Katia said...

Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

Sandi Lou said...

The dual alphabet dies are amazing. This is the first set I have seen that uses both cuts. What an bonus! It's like getting 2 sets for the price of one, and no left over little pieces to round up.

Jan Castle said...

Great look and wonderful card! Can't wait to see more about the dual alphabet! TFS
Jan

Dee said...

Great directions for a great card using multiple techniques!

Janice K said...

A gorgeous card and great tip for colouring our own paste, thank you for that. Love the look of the new alphabet dies!! x

Maxine said...

I have the owl stencil, but not the die cuts for the details. Plus i just love the letters because they are whole! that is just brilliant. In my book they are a must have. I am also having fun of thinking of sayings useing owl!l ie Owl always love you, hhee hee. owl only know one thing for sure dream weaver stencils are a hoot and half.

Katie said...

I love the paper-pieceing over the paste...I love how the past shows on the edges. Thank you for doing a tutorial on how to make colored paste...I have been wondering about that. Can you use things other than re-inkers (don't have any)? Also love the nest letters (I love that font) and the pasted nest stencil. Wonderful card! :) Thanks for sharing.

Katie B.

Pam Hornschu said...

Love this card! I need to start playing with that new alphabet!

CreativeJanine said...

The owl die is so cute, and so is your card. The alphabet dies look wonderful! Thanks for the great ideas.

Unknown said...

I love alphabet dies and this new set looks fantastic! Being able to create your own coloured embossing paste with inks is a brilliant idea. I have done this now with a variety of ink pads (I just swoosh them onto the craft sheet if I don't have the re-inker) and it has worked every time! You can then stamp a background or greeting using the same colour to match your pasted image.

Heather said...

I need to mix my pastes more often!! great how it turned out!!

Carol McCready said...

Such great project. Just love it. The alphabet looks like something I have to
own.

Vicki Sopcak said...

OMG I Love Dreamweaver Stencils and Dies due to the endless possibilities of creations you can make with them. Keep up the good work Dreamweaver, you NEVER disappoint!!!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive